Monday 17 January 2011

Monday 17th January - 2nd Week in the UAE & It’s Raining!!


Busy first week out here in Ajman sorting out food and bits for the flat which now feels more homely than it did a week or so ago and my kitchen is pretty where I’d like it to be right now with enough food in to have a variety of meals including roast beef yesterday with yorkshire puddings!! I think once I’ve mastered my oven / cooker I’ll be doing a roast for a few of the guys who also live in the block. I think my favorite new toy is my blender as I’m making home made smoothies/milkshakes tonights is mango, banana and ginger and interesting mix but not unpleasant.

Yesterday marked my first and probably not last trip to ‘The Hole In The Wall’ an off license of sorts that has the most amazing selection of wine, spirits and beer especially when you consider this is supposed to be a country where it is difficult and expensive to drink alcohol. Wine was around the same price as in the UK (but no 3 for 2’s) and I went for New World stuff mainly and a 4L wine box that cost about a tenner for that 2nd bottle experience, spirits seem about equal to UK prices and they have some seriously expensive bottles of brandy etc..... Surely that’s not just for the ex-pats? The 24 small bottles of Strongbow where about a pound each so cider will be a real treat from now on.

It has been raining today so kinda like Manchester only warmer but they still talk funny! Today also marked me collecting my first load of washing from the launderette I had 2 pairs of trouser, 6 shirts, 2 t-shirts, loads of pants and socks washed, ironed and put on hangers for £9 although I suspect I may have lost a sock but hey can’t complain at that price and for the moment I’ll be holding off on getting a washing machine.

Tomorrow will be a big day as it’s medical day which means an early start at 7:30am for chest x-rays, hand inspection (no idea why) and the bit I’m not looking forward to a blood test - I’m rubbish with needles. All this is part of the medical insurance process and after that things move on to work visa application which in turn means bank account, mobile phone contracts, internet connections etc etc

So far so good and as always more photos here

No comments:

Post a Comment